Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Fabulous Fibers!

I really think they're called Fantasy Fiber, but they are FABULOUS! The things you can do with them. I got my first bag last week and made the tag with the sunshine yellow fiber and the flower. Technique Junkies has an ongoing ATC swap, and the person who runs that swap really wants to try to cover as many of the techniques as possible (which is not really easy given how many techniques come out every other month!). I thought I'd choose a technique that hasn't been done yet, and chose Textured Metallics, April 2006. It's a neat technique, but I used dark colors which would have been very difficult to stamp on. I didn't want to take the focus off the technique, and I wanted to use my clay masks. So I made the ATCs, made the clay masks with Sculpey clay, painted them with Pewter Lumiere paint and then with interference red paint. I melted the fibers onto the back of the masks and glues them to the cards.

I then got to looking at how the fibers look when they're melted. I figured I could easily melt them over a mold of something and make a 3D object. So I made a bowl out of the fibers. I put nonstick foil over the bowl, laid out three colors of fibers, laid nonstick foil over the whole thing and ironed. I lifted the iron a few times to see how it was coming along, added fibers where necessary, and bent back the edges to make them not so hairy. Then I filled this neat little bowl with buttons that my mom gave me. A lot of these were my grandma's. They came on cards that said they cost a whole whopping 29 cents. I need more of these fibers. I'm going to get some light colors and make "paper" to stamp on.

And finally, a card. I made this awhile ago. The background is the technique I had published in Technique Junkies, Varnished Floating Pearls. Instead of using a brown wrapping paper, I used black cardstock. The look is completely different on the black. The stamp is from Cornish Heritage Farms. I did Gamsol Magic to color her. I love fairies. I used these little sticky jewels in the corner that match the color of the background perfectly. I love this image and have a bunch more of her stamped out to play with. This is the one image that might entice me to buy Copics and try to get good with them. She is fun to color.

8 comments:

Niki said...

Pretty card! Love the color!

Rosella said...

You totally amaze me. Seems to me your creative brain must be running 24/7. Love your card!

chelemom said...

I LOVE this card! You and those fairies...... : )

Kelly AKA Emmiestamps said...

Very pretty card love the fairy!

Juliet A said...

What gorgeous ATCs! Are you really going to send them in to swap? I can't wait!

laurel said...

Very cool things to do with the fantasy fiber! I just followed the link from Tangled Stitch and am enjoying all the different techniques you are trying. I'm going to have to play with some of them too. Beautiful card too. Thanks for sharing.

Donelda said...

wow, I love the fibers and that is amazing that you made that bowl with them!! That is amazing!! I am so glad I visited your blog today :-)

rosebudinnh said...

I LOVE your bowl. wonderful work here. Iam loving the purse you made also. Amazing stuff Thanks for sharing with us. Rose




http://rosebudinnh.spaces.live.com/