Saturday, June 2, 2007

Mood

Did you ever notice how often the cards you make, or whatever you make, reflect your mood? I know unless I have a particular set of rules for something I'm making, I choose the color of my card first, and that color usually depends on my mood. If I'm in a silly mood, I choose brighter colors, like pinks and yellows. If I'm in a more pensive mood, or feeling introspective and quiet, I choose quieter colors, like blues and greys. What I think is really cool, and what I'm reading about now, is how not only does our mood affect our color choices, but also how the colors around us can affect our moods. Colors affect every aspect of our lives whether we know it or not. Reds cause a rise in heart rate and blood pressure. Blues are calming.

The book I'm reading is called Color Magic for Beginners, by Richard Webster. It's a really interesting book, easy to read. If you're at all into psychology and how you can have an impact on the world around you, this is a really good book to read without having to wade through "psychobabble".

I used to read a lot. I started reading when I was four, and never stopped until I got too busy to read for pleasure. Most of my reading now has to do with my job. I was reading psychology texts in elementary school and have always been fascinated with how things around us can affect our choices or our actions. And, yes, I'm well aware of what a dork I am. I embrace that part of me! This book fits in with the kind of thing I've been interested in since I was a kid, and I'm really looking forward to applying this stuff to my art. Oh well, off to play!

1 comment:

~* Tracy *~ said...

I totally agree about our mood influencing the colours we choose to use. Colour makes such a huge difference... For me, personally, I could never live in a house with beige/cream walls. Had to paint them in happy colours!
~Tracy