Saturday, January 19, 2008

First felting project


Wow, who knew this would be so much fun? This is the scarf I made. You can't really see the texture, but it has so much texture! I took a silk scarf I'd dyed more than a year ago, laid yellow and orange wool roving criss-cross on the scarf, and felted away. I'm surprised it actually worked. I don't usually do things right the first time. I have a large piece of felt in the dryer right now that I want to make into a bag or something. I'll have to see when it comes out. It's a lot of fun to do. And the texture on the scarf is neat because the wool shrinks and puckers the fabric, so it has this gorgeous shirred look.

Oh, and I'm going to name the puppy Quila (keela). Going with the theme, as Kerry suggested in her comments on Quila's picture! Thanks so much, Kerry!

6 comments:

Velta said...

Michelle ~ This scarf is just gorgeous!!! I love the colors you picked out. You seem to have many talents and this is obviously one of them. Who wouldn't love to receive this as a gift!

Kerry Johnson said...

Love your scarf Michelle! The colours and pattern is beautiful! I would love to work with fibers somehow - I have a hankering to learn to knit actually, but I barely have time for one hobby!

Kerry Johnson said...

Oooh and love the puppy's name! Since you're sticking with a theme...you should start looking for more dogs though!! (lol!)

Tangled Stitch said...

What a beautiful scarf, really love the color! Bright and cheery on an oh so dreary January day.

UrgentCookie said...

This looks like it is going to be a very warm scarf. :0) You did a good job.

Lorraine said...

this is so cool. i'd love more info on the process of making this...do you just add felt to the silk? lol...i know it just can't be that easy, duh!
the puppy is simply adorable. love the name too!