Friday, March 28, 2008

Other set of bookmarks and a brief explanation

As you can see, very close to the other bookmarks. Here's how I made them. I used Canson watercolor paper for the bookmarks. I sprayed alcohol color mists that I made onto them in a orange/yellow, a blue, a purple, and a green. I then put on Adirondack Color Washes in Lettuce and Butterscotch. I then dry brushed gesso over that and added an olive green acrylic paint (also dry brushed) over that. I used Winchester paper from TAC, then I put a piece of metal I took off a computer over the bookmark and sprayed the green alcohol mist over that to get the dots (upper right of the bookmark). I have images printed from Dover that I glued on and distressed with distress ink in Frayed Burlap. The bird was made with fantasy film. It's a TAC stamp, stamped in black Stazon, put four layers of the film on top, a piece of wax paper, a piece of copy paper, iron for a few seconds, let cool, and cut out. Looks like a lot of steps, really just isn't. The feathers behind it are peahen tail feathers. The flourish is from Debbie's Die Cuts. I embossed them with copper penny embossing powder. Flowers were painted with Twinkling H20s. The fibers on the bird bookmark are just champagne fun fur yarn. The fibers on the other are some package of fibers I got in the scrapbook section of Ms.

How to make the alcohol mist - I use 91% rubbing alcohol, a small misting bottle from Walmart, reinker in any color I like, and a bit of water. It's about 2/3 alcohol to 1/3 water, then add the reinker, as many drops until you get the color you like. Some of them, I might put in 10 drops. Others, I've added half a reinker bottle. The half a bottle is REALLY vibrant. Stazon inks make much brighter colors with this. I've also added a scoop of Pearl Ex and a teaspoon of hairspray into these bottles to give some shimmer. I love making this stuff by myself. It's much cheaper than trying to buy all the colors of the mists I want. And the alcohol makes it dry pretty fast, which helps keep the papers from warping too much.

Anyway, that's that.

7 comments:

laos348 said...

These look great and thanks for the "recipe". I might just have to give that a try.

Anonymous said...

Lovely! You are very good at using your own recipes...and what a great gift this would make :)

Kerry Johnson said...

Wow - what a cool technique! I wish I could come play with you and soak up all your knowledge! Those bookmarks are gorgeous - as are the first ones you posted!

morningDove said...

love, love the bookmarks and all the detail work. Well you can see why they are so gorgeous.

Kim said...

Cool Michelle - your bookmarks are so pretty I'd hate to see them hidden in a book now!

Stampin' Meg said...

ohhh thnaks for the recipe for the alcohol color mist- you are so creative- and such a artistic role model!

Michi Michaelson, Orange County, CA said...

Your bookmarks are GORGEOUS, Michelle!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!